Brand Focus: MAC

If you're anything like me then your first dive into high-end or expensive makeup will have been with MAC Cosmetics. I still remember the rush getting my first lipstick, carrying around the little yellow Selfridges bag feeling fancy af, posting pictures all over Instagram like new lipstick, who dis? I also remember the slight heartbreak at spending £15 on one lipstick, HOW MUCH!? Little did I know a couple of years later I'd be spending twice that and then some with a makeup collection worth more than my car. After this time I've managed to accumulate a nice little collection of MAC product so I thought I'd take a post to talk you through the good, bad and ugly.

Lipsticks (total 16, I think) | £16.50: The great thing about MAC lipsticks is that they come in an absolutely enormous range of shades and finished. There honestly is something for everyone and though some finishes are better than others, you're pretty much guaranteed to find something to suit your needs. I have a collection of mattes, retro mattes, amplified and satin finishes from nudes right through to deep reds and purples. Finish wise, I like the matte shades best. It's not a drying matte formula and doesn't drag on the lips like the retro mattes can, provides incredible colour payoff and lasts for a good few hours before a top up is needed. If you want the matte lip look without the drying formula of a liquid lipstick, these are definitely worth a try. Amplified finishes feel a lot creamier and moisturising while still providing a full coverage and pigment.

Would I repurchase? Yes, definitely the matte formula. 

Lipliners (total 6) | £13.00: What I love about MAC and their lipliners, is that they make a lot of colours to match perfectly with their lipsticks, if there's not an exact match there will almost definitely be something very close. In general, they're really nice quality (the darkest colours go a bit patchy on me, but it's hidden once lipstick is applied), apply smoothly and deliver really good pigment. I've got through about 3 Soar liners as I like to wear them alone as well as with Brave lipstick.

Would I repurchase? Yes. And I have. Soar and Whirl are winners, great for overlining the lips too.

Blushers (total 3) | £19.50: Side note, have blushes from MAC always been nearly £20? I didn't realise they'd got so expensive. Anyway... of the 3 MAC blusher I have and have tried the one thing I will say is that they're very pigmented. A light hand is all that is needed. I also like that they have a fair few matte shade, I don't want to be glowing all the time, I'll leave that up to the highlighter. They've got good staying power and like with most MAC products, the shade range is huge.

Would I repurchase? If I saw a really special colour maybe. I think I prefer other brands and formulas.

Mineralize Skin Finish (total 2) | £24.50: Although I have two of these, the only one I really use is Soft & Gentle as Global Glow is far too dark for me, even with a fake tan. Soft & Gentle is a proper beauty blogger classic, it gives more of a natural glow than a lot of my other highlighters so I like it for day to day use but in general, I just don't reach for it a much as I probably should. 

Would I repurchase? No. I have other highlighters I prefer for a lower price. 

Pro Longwear Nourishing Waterproof Foundation | £27.00: Honestly, the only reason I bought this was because I went into the store looking for a recommendation and once she'd spent the time putting it on my face, I felt like I had to. I don't like this foundation. The coverage is about the only thing I really like, other than that it feel thick and sticky on my face and the smell reminds me of acrylic paint. Also even at my palest, this is still too dark for me even in NC15.

Would I repurchase? Nope. Simple answer really.

Studio Finish Concealer | £16.00: This was another product I felt inclined to buy because the woman used it on me in store, though I actually don't regret this one as much as the foundation. This is a thick concealer but I found it perfect for contouring and really brightening under the eyes as it gives such full coverage. It's not the most blendable, it took some work but overall I was pretty impressed with this. 

Would I repurchase? Although I did like it, probably not just because I have other cheaper concealers I prefer with creamier consistencies.  

Eyeshadows | £10.00 each: After seeing bloggers with their own palettes from MAC and being consistently annoyed that every palette I bought had a handful of colours I wouldn't wear in them, I decided it was time to start building my own palette and at the time, this was one of the best options. Had I known how much I'd prefer Makeup Geek, I probably would have waited. MAC eyehadows are fine, some are good, some not so much. I really find the finishes and pigmentation change across the shades and for the price per pan, I really don't think they're worth it when you can get a MUG shadow that's better quality for half the price. 

Would I repurchase? Half of me wants to finish the palette just for the sake of finishing it. Half of me wants to sell them. I don't know. 

7 comments

  1. I think I will always repurchase mac lipsticks and lip liners but I agree on the blusher front - I found a couple discounted and got them but I do think there are other brands that I much prefer the formula of and who are cheaper xx

    www.iridescentplaces.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a really good post to read! I only have 3 lip liners from mac and never actually tried a lipstick, but if I get one I'll know to go for the matte finish now :) xx

    Cally | xcallyloves.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was younger I spent so much money on MAC eyeshadow but I find Urban Decay are so much better.
    I however prefer the MAC lipsticks over the UD ones!
    Kathryn /Cherries in the Snow

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have 6 MAC lipsticks, and despite it being the cliched thing, Velvet Teddy is probably my fave. It's just perfect for work!

    I like their shadows, but there are products I prefer so I'm not that fussed on continuing my collection right now.

    Sophie x | Essential Twenty

    ReplyDelete
  5. You just can't go wrong with MAC lipsticks, there really is a shade for everyone and for every occasion!

    Alice | alicemaysnell

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love MAC, I try out so many brands that I forget how much I love it!

    Danielle xx
    http://www.fashionbeautyblog.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love MAC eyeshadows they have such an extensive range and finishes x

    franklyflawless.com

    ReplyDelete