Bright Lips For a Dull Day

One of my goals or resolutions if you will for this year was to start rocking bright lips more often and though I absolutely love my nude shades from day to night, it's been a lot of fun pulling out a few old favourites of mine that have been far too neglected for far too long. For bright shades, it's all about Mac for me. They have such a wide range of colours in all different finishes that it's so easy to find something for everyone. Recently though I have been venturing into brighter liquid lipsticks, purely for their staying power, pigmentation and matte finish. (This girl loves a matte).

An oldie but a goodie is Girl About Town by Mac, this is a bright pink with blue undertones and an absolute corker for a night out. This comes in the Amplified finish, so though it may not have the staying power of a matte, it's comfortable on the lips and offers a serious amount of colour in one swipe. Impassioned is another bright pink but perhaps more daytime appropriate. Another seriously bright pink shade is Pink Pigeon, as this is a matte it's slightly more drying on the lips and can have the tendency to drag slightly when applied but the staying power is good and for a matte it's still comfortable (when compared with the likes of retro matte finishes and liquid lips). Speaking of retro mattes, one to try is definitely Relentlessly Red. Though the name may call it a red, I find that this has some seriously pink undertones, to the point it does look pink. The finish is matte and it's probably Mac's most drying formula but it lasts all night on the lips. Finally, Lady Danger. A totally matte orange red lip that seriously makes an impact, I love this with a completely black outfit for an almost neon pop of colour. You can see my full Mac lipstick collection including swatches here.

My selection of bright liquid lipsticks isn't extensive but there are a few I will mention. First there's a few gorgeous shades from Stila. Their range may not be the most extensive but I do like their formula, it's not as liquidy as some others but it lasts incredibly well on the lips and doesn't need a top up for a good 6 hours. Beso is a bright red, that classic Hollywood pin up shade. Carina is an intense bright orange, I always forget just how bright this actually is. Looks fabulous with a tan too as it really makes your colour pop. And Venezia, it's a gorgeous mix of coral and pink, another super bright almost neon shade. Swatches of those here! The shades I have from Anastasia Beverly Hills are Craft and Kathryn, I won't go into much detail on these as I have a full post here, but they're both on the berry side of things, girl loves a berry lip.

What are your favourite bright lip colours for dull days?

7 comments

  1. Your photography is stunning! I can't seem to break away from my nudes lately but I do love a good bright lip come summer!

    Francisca | www.franciscamay.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh these are all such gorgeous shades, perfect for spring! x

    www.shayholly.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love bright lips during the warmer months. Reading this has me excited for upcoming spring/summer, they all look gorgeous x

    Beauty with charm

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely need to get into wearing brighter, bolder lips! I like being in my comfort zone with nudes - time to switch that up!xx

    Lucy x | lucy-cole.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. All of these lipsticks look so pretty! I can't wait till it's Summer and I can wear bright lipsticks again x

    http://emmaboughtwhat.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. i just love bright lips so much. lady danger and relentlessly red are so high on my wishlist.


    www.elenaisabelle.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I much prefer a bright shade over a nude day or night, although I am starting to embrace budes a little more now. Impassioned is one of my favourites and was the first MAC shade I bought. Another favourite from MAC would definitely be Lickable x

    Becky @ The Little Blog of Beauty

    ReplyDelete