Simple Eton Mess Inspired Cupcakes

I have a confession. This post did not go as planned, like really not as planned. I was originally going to make two different types of cupcake and they were going to be amazing with loads of Eton Mess, crushed meringue, strawberries, the absolute works. But me being me, I managed to mess up the Eton Mess. Of all the things to mess up, I messed up the one thing that is just three or four different ingredients thrown together. Long story short I forgot that strawberries are essentially water and if you stir too much, the cream you spent ages whipping into stiff peaks will start to go runny and no amount of stirring, icing sugar or meringue will help, in fact it just makes it worse. What I ended up with was a pink, runny, tubby custard looking mess. So instead, have a super simple Eton Mess inspired recipe. Inspired being the key word here.



As per usual I used a simple Mary Berry recipe from her Baking Bible as the base for these cakes but I added a little bit of baking soda to get a bit more of a rise.

100g softened butter
150g sifted self-raising flour
150g sifted caster sugar
3 tablespoons of milk
2 large eggs
1/2 a teaspoon of vanilla extract 


1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.
2. Line a cupcake tin with 12 cases. 
3. Measure all your ingredients into a bowl and blend until smooth. (So simple.)
4. Bake for 20-25 minutes until risen and golden brown and a knife comes out clean when inserted into the centre.
5. Leave to cool completely before decorating. You can make the buttercream while you wait. 


The icing is also a really simple buttercream with a few additional extras. 

600g sifted icing sugar 
300g unsalted softened butter
1/2 a teaspoon of strawberry flavouring
red or pink food colouring
disposable piping bag
piping nozzle of your choice 
1 tablespoon of strawberry jam


1. Cream together the butter and icing sugar until smooth.
2. Add your food colouring and flavouring and stir thoroughly. 
3. Stir in the strawberry jam. You can mix this in thoroughly or leave somewhat streaky to add an almost marbled effect.
4. If you find the buttercream too thick to pipe add a tablespoon of milk at a time until it's the perfect consistency. Alternatively add icing sugar to thicken. 
5. Decorate as you like! I used these adorable mini meringues and some fresh strawberries. 



I promise next time I'll be back with something a little more inventive that I hopefully won't mess up as badly. What will you be baking this Summer?

13 comments

  1. These look and sound amazing! I've been really into making brownies at the moment but need to mix it up a bit so these would be ideal to try. Thanks for sharing! X

    heart-autumn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so incredible and cute!!! I could so eat one right now xx

    Lauren | itslaurenvictoria.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look perfect and tasty! Do you want to be friends with me on bloglovin? If yes, just follow me and I'll follow your blog back ASAP!<3 http://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/anna-alina-3947784

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are such lovely looking cupcakes, I think they're adorable haha! I might have a go at making these one day, pray for my kitchen. x

    Kathryn | Chapters of Kat

    ReplyDelete
  5. The look SO yummy and also adorable - the colour makes them look too good to eat :') xx

    Sam // Samantha Betteridge

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look so, so lush! I am such a sucker for a strawberry cupcake, they are by far the best! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. These sound delicious! I'm definitely going to have to give them a go sometime soon! Thank you for sharing such a lovely recipe :) xx

    Yasmina | The July Journal

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look AMAZING and don't look messed up at all! What a fab recipe!

    Sian xx Cakey Dreamer xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish when I baked my food looked this well presented, they look too good to eat. Thanks for sharing. =^-^=

    Sam | Momentarily Dreaming

    ReplyDelete
  10. They still look sooo yummy - I'll have to give these a try!

    Lucy | Forever September

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look so yummy and really pretty!!xo

    Char | www.charslittleblog.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  12. they look delicious! x

    jess x | wellwellgirls.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. These cupcakes look amazing! I'm definitely going to try and make them x

    http://emmaboughtwhat.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete