Reflecting on 2016 & Goals for 2017

2016, what a year eh? Most memes and quotes flying around social media seem to be brandishing it the worst year ever and one to forget. Yes, we lost a lot of legends from the world of music, acting and more. Yes, there was an awful lot of pain and suffering around the world. Yes, Brexit and Donald Trump happened.  But I have to say that it was overall a pretty good year for me and with the first month of 2017 nearly over, I thought it was about time for me to reflect on the last year and look forward to what the rest of this one has to offer.


I started this blog toward the end of 2015 when I was in a particularly low part of my life. I was unhappy in a relationship that wasn't right for me but I didn't know how to get out of it. Topped off with a lot going on within my family, there didn't seem to be an escape other than just being alone in my room. Writing about things I was passionate about and throwing myself into photography and engaging with other bloggers helped to keep me distracted.  You know when you're losing weight instead of gaining it over Christmas that something is wrong. So in January of 2016 I decided it was time to change things, I moved back home and walked away from something that had changed me and was turning me into a person I didn't like and yes it was scary but looking back it was the best thing I ever did for myself. Sometimes you just have to be selfish. After that everything went on the up, I was single and happier than ever. My confidence skyrocketed, massively helped by the loss of weight and exercise regime I started. It says a lot when your friends tell you that you suddenly seem like yourself again. I guess the scariest thing is wondering if anyone will ever want you again or thinking you'll never meet someone but there's just no need to dwell on it. A relationship or boy to talk to isn't the be all and end all. In fact over the course of 2016 I was "seeing" a few different guys, some were more of a fling, some were one night stands and some could have been something more. I'm not saying these haven't been without their ups and downs either, I had my fair share of "fuckboys" but overall, I wouldn't change any of it. You soon learn from these things and realise that sometimes, things just aren't meant to work out. I've even ended up good friends with some of them. If anything, it just goes to show there is more than one person out there for everyone and despite how you think you look or whether you think you're good enough, there's always going to be someone who finds you attractive. So, I'm entering 2017 still single and happier than ever, I'm completely content in my little bubble. Yeh I'm still on Tinder and I still message or see a guy every now and then (hey, a girl has needs) but overall, I'm enjoying being free for a bit longer. In being alone, I'm finding myself.

2016 also marked the year that I graduated from university. After 3 years of studying Graphic Design at Manchester Met University, I finally finished with a 2:1. University was a whole load of ups and downs, breakdowns, drunken nights and experiences but overall, I wouldn't change the experience for anything. Moving away from Manchester for the last six months made things increasingly difficult for me, commuting nearly two hours every day but overall it was the best thing for my happiness and overall my mental health. At uni I met some amazing friends that I'll continually stay in touch with and I really think the whole thing helped shape me as a person as well as teaching me more about a subject I loved that will hopefully take me on to building a fabulous career. Finding a job after university can be daunting, you're constantly applying to job after job and hearing nothing back but in September I was lucky enough to be offered my dream job of Junior Graphic Designer at boohoo. Hard work and persistence pays off and if you're passionate enough, an employer will see that. I moved back to Manchester (my favourite city) and into a lovely flat in Castlefield and have been here ever since. I've got a lovely flatmate and made some incredible friends already. Just goes to show it really isn't how long you've known someone because after just 4 months I feel like I've known some of the girls at work for years. Finally the year ended with a family holiday to Florida, a well earned break with the people that mean the most to me who I probably don't tell that to enough.

So overall a year of ups and downs but I don't have any regrets or things that I'd change. Mistakes and bad experiences shape who we are as humans, they help us grow and learn. (Ok I still make the same mistakes repeatedly from time to time but still, the point still stands.) There are people I miss and people I wish I'd spent more time with before they were gone. Here's to another year of fun, laughs, tears, friendships and opportunity.

With 2016 reflected on, I've decided to set myself some goals for 2017:
  • Wear bright lipstick more often.
  • Eat healthier and start a proper exercise regime, aiming to lose 2st.
  • Feel totally comfortable with my body and how I look.
  • Create blog content I love. (Hitting 1000 followers would be amazing too)
  • Travel more.
  • Read more.
  • Get out of my overdraft.
  • Get my first tattoo.
  • Give less time to those who don't deserve it. 
How was your 2016? Do you have any goals for 2017?

4 comments

  1. You can definitely achieve your goals for 2017! And can I also say how pretty the photo is for this post!!

    Rhi xx
    www.rinkydinkyrhi.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many amazing things happened to you. Congrats on finishing Uni and that dream job sounds brilliant! I hope 2017 brings you the same amount of joy, maybe even more! Creating more content is a goal for me too!
    Charlotte / Charlotte's Picks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that you've set some fun goals for 2017 like getting a tattoo and travelling more.. i've set my self a similar goal like your lipstick one i want to experiment with my makeup way more in 2017

    Ronnie
    www.veronicabizzarri.blogspot.co.uk
    xx

    ReplyDelete