Tarte Rainforest Of The Sea Foundation | Review

When it comes to makeup, my foundation is definitely something I'm not as experimental with. I tend to stick to the ones I know and love (shoutout to Makeup Forever Ultra HD aka my bae) and it's rare that I'll stray away from them until something really exciting comes along. A lot of bloggers are big fans of the Tarte Amazonian Clay foundation but as Tarte is pretty difficult to get ahold of in the UK, I never managed to jump on the bandwagon. So when I visited the States in December, I decided to pick up their newest offering, the Rainforest Of The Sea Foundation. (Kinda wish I'd also picked up the super hyped up Tape Shape concealer while I was there but hindsight is a wonderful thing).



Let's start with the packaging. Tarte for me isn't necessarily a brand that stand out with their packaging, it' nice and does the job but I think the bottle for this foundation is particularly pretty. It comes in a frosted glass tube with gold detailing and a nice purple and gold gradient cap on the dropper. While we're on the subject we might as well talk about the applicator. I have to admit I'm not a fan of droppers. I've tried them on both this and the NYX total control foundation and I just find them messy and difficult to use, I've got a fair few foundation splodges on my bed from dripping. I get that the idea is to control how much you use and just add extra coverage with more drops but really I think you can do this just as easily with a pump. Not to mention, I like to put my foundation on the back of my hand to work with and generally, these water based foundations are pretty runny so they have a tendency to go everywhere.


Formula. Tarte describe this as a lightweight, full coverage, hydrating foundation with SPF15 and I'd probably agree with two out of three of these claims. Due to being water based it is extremely lightweight while still retaining what I would call more of a medium buildable coverage. It's also runny without being too runny, it doesn't go all over the place when you put it on the back of your hand but it's easy to blend and doesn't feel thick or heavy on the skin. It feels hydrating too with a natural, ever so slightly dewy finish. This lasts nicely from 9-5pm but not a great deal longer, I find it start to go a bit patchy in areas where I get oily through the day so setting those areas with powder is recommended. That's not a big problem for me, I only want this foundation to last the working day and as it has SPF it wouldn't be one for a long night out anyway, hello flashback.


In term of selecting your shade, this is pretty difficult considering the foundation is only available online but I find places like Findation and the Foundation Matrix extremely helpful when I can't always test out different shades in store or get professionally matched. I'm Y315 in Makeup Forever Ultra HD and Light Neutral in Rainforest Of The Sea. They do seem to be pretty lacking in shades for darker skin tones and super pale shades so hopefully this is something they'll expand on.

Overall this foundation gets a thumbs up from me, I like the natural finish and coverage with the main selling point for me being that it feels so lightweight on the skin. Staying power could be longer but in general I only want my makeup to last the working day anyway.

Have you tried the Rainforest Of The Sea foundation?

6 comments

  1. This is the prettiest foundation packaging ever!! I really want to try it xx
    Liv
    livslack.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to give this one a try! Great review :)


    xo, Liz
    http://lipstickandconfetti.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want to try this out, I think it would be a really nice lightweight foundation for everyday use!

    Danielle xx
    http://www.fashionbeautyblog.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  4. The idea of this being so lightweight is seriously making me want to get it!
    Kathy x
    Alongcamekathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. When this foundation came out, I wanted to get it. After seeing reviews and seeing it being compared to Nars sheer glow it's no made me question whether to get it. I wasn't too crazy about the Nars sheer glow foundation.

    www.themakeupaficionado.com

    ReplyDelete